Hugh was first elected 10th May 2004 and is defending his seat in the 2021 local elections.
I grew up in south east London. I hold an MA degree from the University of Cambridge and a PhD degree from the University of Wales. I have lived in Portsmouth since 1970 and lectured at Portsmouth Polytechnic and University. I was a union activist, holding national office. I was for many years a school governor. Now, jointly with my wife I own a small farm and a radio station in Uganda.
My political life started by delivering election leaflets at the age of 7 and I have continued doing it ever since. I was secretary and agent of the Portsmouth South Liberal Party for a decade. I first stood for the City Council in 1976 and did so frequently thereafter. I was elected for the Saint Jude Ward in 2004 and have represented it ever since.
Current Council Positions:
- Cabinet Member for Planning Policy & City Development
- Standing Deputy for the Planning Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Licensing Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Employment Committee
Current Council Appointments:
- The Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (statutory)
- The Kings Theatre Trust
- The Hampshire Joint Pension Fund and Panel
- The Honor Waite Almshouse Trust
- The Elementary Education Act Trust
- The Portsmouth-Haifa Friendship Committee
Current Community Positions:
- Chair of the Portsmouth City Community Fund
- Director of the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Community Fund
- Treasurer of the Teso Development Trust
- Churchwarden of St Simon’s Church (CofE) and sit on Diocesan Synod and Bishop’s Council
- Director of the Wessex Community Bank (Hampshire Credit Union)
Phone: 023 9281 6794 & 07981 895 727
Email: [email protected]
Advice Surgery: Southsea Library, Every Thursday, 4:30pm-5:30pm