Hugh was first elected 10th May 2004. Local people re-elected him again at the local elections in May 2021.
I have lived in Southsea for over 40 years. I chair the Church Council at St Simons Church, where I was churchwarden for many years and where I have cooked for the homeless for 26 years. I was elected for the Saint Jude Ward in 2004 and have represented it ever since.
I grew up in southeast London. I hold an MA degree from the University of Cambridge and a PhD degree from the University of Wales. I have lectured at Portsmouth Polytechnic and University. I was a union activist, holding national office. I was for many years a school governor. Now, jointly with my wife, I own a small farm and a radio station in Uganda.
For the last 17 years, as your local councillor for St. Jude Ward I’ve been able to help thousands of local people. I have a real record of action in the community.
Current Council Positions:
- Cabinet Member for Planning Policy & City Development
- Standing Deputy for the Planning Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Licensing Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Employment Committee
Current Council Appointments:
- The Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (statutory)
- The Kings Theatre Trust
- The Hampshire Joint Pension Fund and Panel
- The Honor Waite Almshouse Trust
- The Elementary Education Act Trust
- The Portsmouth-Haifa Friendship Committee
Current Community Positions:
- Chair of the Portsmouth City Community Fund
- Director of the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Community Fund
- Treasurer of the Teso Development Trust
- Churchwarden of St Simon’s Church (CofE) and sit on Diocesan Synod and Bishop’s Council
- Director of the Wessex Community Bank (Hampshire Credit Union)
Phone: 023 9281 6794 & 07981 895 727
Email: [email protected]
Advice Surgery: Southsea Library, Every Thursday, 4:30pm-5:30pm