Matthew Winnington is standing for Eastney & Craneswater ward
Matthew is a local Southsea resident and was the Lib Dem councillor in Eastney & Craneswater for 9 years, winning in 2012 and 2016.
He is the only candidate of any party to beat the Conservatives there in over a decade.
Matthew works hard for the local area and, alongside fellow campaigner Peter Candlish, has continued to keep in touch with local people over the last year.
Matthew helps run a dementia support service for a local mental health charity. He is also a keen cyclist and environmental campaigner and a trustee of Eastney Community Centre.
A real record of action
- was the first local councillor to give evidence to the Aquind enquiry and opposed the scheme from the very start
- successfully lobbied the council for the no. 25 'Southsea SKipper' bus service to join up with the Hayling Ferry he helped save
- was Lib Dem Cabinet Member for Health, Well-being and Social Care during the worst of the Covid pandemic
- recently worked with Lib Dem councillor Ben Dowling to secure improvements to the play area on Fort Cumberland Road
- helped introduce and roll out the food waste recycling scheme across the city
- has been on the Eastney Community centre committee for 10 years and supports the proposed new £16mn commuinty centre, swimming pool & sports hub at Bransbury park
Please elect Matthew Winnington on 5th May.
He has the experience to get things done and get the best deal for our area – and won’t just disappear after an election campaign is over.