First elected 22nd June 2014. Ben was re-elected for a further 4 year term on 3rd May 2018.
Ben is Portsmouth born and bred. He went to local schools at Moorings Way Infant School, Meon Junior School and Mitoncross Academy. He attended Havant Sixth Form College whilst still living in Portsmouth and graduated in 2016 with a degree in Modern History and Politics from the University of Southampton.
Ben has been working from a young age; holding various roles throughout his education including as a Youth Adviser, IT Advisor, Student Ambassador and street canvasser. In 2013, Ben co-founded Unloc - a social enterprise with the aim of helping to build a highly capable, actively engaged and civic-minded generation of young people. Ben remains a co-director and integral member of the Unloc team.
Ben has been actively engaged with his local community since his school days. He has always got 'stuck in': helping with community fun days, his local community centre and his local neighbourhood forum. Because of this positive community work, Ben was elected to represent Milton Ward on Portsmouth City Council in 2014, at the age of 20. This made him one of the youngest councillors in the country at the time. He was subsequently re-elected in 2018 for a further 4 year term.
From May 2014 to May 2018, Ben was the Opposition Spokesperson for Planning, Regeneration & Economic Development (PRED). Upon the Liberal Democrats becoming the council administration in May 2018, he then became the Cabinet Member for PRED. In May 2019, Ben left the Cabinet to take the office of Deputy Lord Mayor of Portsmouth. Due to changing personal circumstances, Ben chose not to take the natural step up to becoming Lord Mayor in 2020 and is now focussing his efforts on his role as Chair of the Employment Committee.
Current Council Positions
- Chair of the Employment Committee
- Member of the Scrutiny Management Panel
- Member of the Education, Children & Young People Scrutiny Panel
- Member of the Economic Development, Culture & Leisure Scrutiny Panel
- Standing Deputy for the Governance, Audit & Standards Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Health Overview & Scrutiny Panel
Current Community Positions
- Committee Member of the Milton Neighbourhood Forum
- Committee Member of the Milton Neighbourhood Planning Form
- Trustee of the Portsmouth & District Friendly Societies Homes
- Committee Member of the Milton Village Community Association
- Board Member of the Portsmouth Music Hub
- Governor at Meon Infant School
- Director of Pure Ground Community Cafe & Coffee Shop
- Friend of Milton Park
- Supporter of the Friends of Beddow Library
- Committee Member of the St James Memorial Park Trust
LinkedIn - /in/BenDowlingPortsmouth
Facebook - /BenDowlingPortsmouth
Twitter - @btldowling
Instagram - @btldowling
Email - [email protected]
Phone - 07540947364