Thank you for your interest in the post of Campaigns Officer with Portsmouth Liberal Democrats.
Following a return to running Portsmouth City Council Portsmouth Lib Dems have decided to create a new part time Campaigns Officer role.
The role is currently part time (0.675 fte) but may move to full time if that is of interest and if funds become available. It is also fixed-term to May 2019 but may be extended if there is a successful outcome to next year’s elections and funds remain available.
A Job Description and a Person Specification are included below.
Applications should be in writing to the local party Chair. Please send this by email to email@example.com. Please include a covering letter of no more than 2 sides of a4 explaining why you wish to be considered for the post and address key points from the person specification. Please also enclose a short Curriculum Vitae which should include at least three referees – one of whom should be your current or last employer and at least one should be a Liberal Democrat. Closing date for applications is 21st September.
Portsmouth South had, form 1997 until 2014, a Lib Dem MP and we were second in the 2015 election.
We ran the City Council for ten years until 2014 when we lost control to the Conservatives. In 2018 we held all bar one of our sitting councillors and gaining two seats in the north of the city, this allowed us to regain minority control of the city council with the support of Labour and Independent councillors..
Portsmouth has a thriving Lib Dem activist base and is generally considered to be on the leading edge of campaigning. It is therefore an excellent place to hone your current skills and to learn new ones.
Terms and Conditions
You would be expected to work from our office at 220 Fratton Road. You will at times be on your own in this office and expected to take responsibility for health, safety and personal security.
The role will be paid at £24,000 pro rata rate. We will also contribute 2% of your salary to a pension scheme of your choice, after successful completion of a six month probationary period.
Working hours will be flexible and we expect a significant amount of evening and weekend work.
Portsmouth Liberal Democrats pay staff expenses for travel, accommodation and subsistence outside the normal working environment and we are keen to ensure our staff have access to training and development opportunities.
You will be entitled to 15 days annual leave a year plus bank holidays, As a political organisation we are able to offer a degree of flexibility to allow staff to undertake their public duties.
If you have queries about the jobs or the recruitment process please do not hesitate to contact our Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description, Campaigns Officer
£24,000 (full time salary – pro rata for part time)
Chair of the Campaign Committee
Line management responsibility for:
Portsmouth Lib Dem Office
27 hours per week with an expectation that this will include some evenings and weekends
Working with our volunteers, Councillors and candidates to support and deliver a successful campaign in the 2019 Portsmouth City Council elections.
- To work with the Campaign Committee to develop the campaign message for May 2019.
- To work with the Campaign Committee to develop, implement and monitor the campaign plan for the next local elections and to help produce a contingency plan for a snap general election.
- To produce effective literature including (but not limited to) Focus leaflets, surveys, street letters etc, based on the agreed message
- To deliver the digital campaign using various media, e.g. Facebook, Website, Instagram etc, based on the agreed message
- To organise the internal communications of the local party including a weekly updates emails to members and supporters and administration of the internal and public facing social media
- To work with the Lead Volunteers and particularly to ensure that canvassing is happening regularly, data input is up to date and leaflets produced and delivered
- To support fundraising necessary to sustain campaigning activity
- To work within the organisation’s agreed policies and procedures.
- To attend campaign meetings as required.
- To assist in the day-to-day administrative duties as appropriate and to produce written reports as requested, to manage the office and to keep material stocks in hand and office machinery operational
- To undertake other reasonable duties at the request of the line manager
Person Specification, Campaigns Officer
- Member of the Liberal Democrats.
- To be a self starter and be able to work without day to day management and with many different groups of people.
- Knowledge and understanding of Liberal Democrat local campaigning demonstrated by significant involvement in campaigning at a local level.
- Ability to work with Liberal Democrat activists, including speaking in public, providing training and motivating teams.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal and the ability to work as part of a team and to organise your own work, and able to work weekends and evenings.
- Good IT skills, including ability to work DTP packages. Ability to explain Lib Dem IT and other computer programmes and databases to Lib Dem members.
- Good interpersonal skills and an ability to listen and work with and support development through positive encouragement and reflection. Ability to work with diverse groups and occasionally challenging individuals.
- Good understanding and experience of using social media with the ability to show how Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms can support campaigning.
- Good understanding and experience of using databases and merging functions such as Connect, Nationbuilder, Word and MailChimp and to be able to show how these can enable political campaigning.
- Commitment to values of equality, diversity and inclusion.