Rob is the Liberal Democrat candidate for St Thomas Ward in the 2018 local elections.
I’ve been a Portsmouth City Councillor since first getting elected in 2010 for St Thomas ward, which covers Old Portsmouth, Somerstown and parts of Southsea. I live in the ward.
I have a passion and vested interest in improving education outcomes as both grandchildren (and children) attended local authority schools.
In 2011 I was appointed Liberal Democrat Spokesperson for Children and Education in Portsmouth. I was the council’s Cabinet Member for Children and Education between 2011-2014 and also Chair of Governance and Audit in 2010. I have contributed to the LGiU paper on the ‘Middle-Tier’ role in delivering education and the local authority's role within this and have recently chaired and spoken at several national seminars on the subject of education.
Prior to becoming a councillor, I spent many years in senior positions within the IT software industry as a Director and Principal Technologist with a ‘cloud computing’ company. I currently contract and consult in this area.
I am a Trustee and Vice Chair of Wymering Manor Trust and a long-standing committee member of Friends of Old Portsmouth. I am also a local authority Governor at Charter and Ark Dickens.
Current Council Positions
- Group Spokesperson for Children & Families
- Standing Deputy for the Education, Children & Young People Scrutiny Panel
- Standing Deputy for the Governance, Audit & Standards Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Licensing Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Planning Committee
- Standing Deputy for the Scrutiny Management Panel
- Member of the Children's Trust Board
- Member of PATCH
- Friend of the Royal Naval Museum & HMS Victory
Email - email@example.com
Facebook - /CouncillorRobWood
Twitter - @robmwooduk
Phone - 07980681053
Advice Surgery - Somerstown Hub, 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month, 6pm to 7.30pm