First elected 22nd June 2014. Ben was re-elected for a further 4 year term on 3rd May 2018.
Ben is Portsmouth born and bred. He went to local schools at Moorings Way Infant School, Meon Junior School and Mitoncross Academy. He attended Havant Sixth Form College whilst still living in Portsmouth and graduated in 2016 with a degree in Modern History and Politics from the University of Southampton.
Ben has been working from a young age; holding various roles throughout his education including as a Youth Adviser, IT Advisor, Student Ambassador and street canvasser. In 2013, Ben co-founded Unloc - a social enterprise with the aim of helping to build a highly capable, actively engaged and civic-minded generation of young people. Ben remains a co-director and integral member of the Unloc team.
Ben has been actively engaged with his local community since his school days. He has always got 'stuck in': helping with community fun days, his local community centre and his local neighbourhood forum. Because of this positive community work, Ben was elected to represent Milton Ward on Portsmouth City Council in 2014, at the age of 20. This made him one of the youngest councillors in the country at the time.
Current Council Positions
- Cabinet Member for Planning, Regeneration & Economic Development
- Substitute Member of the LGA City Regions Board
- Standing Deputy for the Employment Committee
Current Community Positions
- Committee Member of the Milton Neighbourhood Forum
- Committee Member of the Milton Neighbourhood Planning Form
- Trustee of the Portsmouth & District Friendly Societies Homes
- Committee Member of the Milton Village Community Association
- Board Member of the Portsmouth Music Hub
- Governor at Meon Infant School
- Director of Pure Ground Community Cafe & Coffee Shop
- Friend of Milton Park
- Supporter of the Friends of Beddow Library
- Committee Member of the St James Memorial Park Trust
LinkedIn - /in/BenDowlingPortsmouth
Facebook - /BenDowlingPortsmouth
Twitter - @btldowling
Instagram - @btldowling
Phone - 07540947364